In Latin Plagiarism comes from “Plagiarius”, which means Kidnapper.
Presently, most of the content on the internet is plagiarized and the original authors of the content are becoming the victims. Now the question is What is Plagiarism & How to check for Plagiarism.
The definition of Plagiarism according to Oxford Dictionary is “The practice of taking someone else’s work or ideas and passing them off as one’s own”. In simple words, it is the act of copying somebody’s work, without his consent and presenting it as one’s own creation. For example when I searched “Vitamin C benefits” in Google and went through some websites, many of them had the same content and no one knows who originally wrote. This is known as Plagiarism.
Now, Google and other search engines treat it as a crime and punish the sites with plagiarized content by lowering their page ranks. So it is very important to check the content you are using is un-plagiarized (especially if it is not written by you). Moreover, to keep checking that no one else is taking credit of your creations (and stopping that if so) is also very important. But now, the question is “How to find and keep a check on Plagiarism??”
I have listed 7 great sites below using which you can check the authenticity of your content :
#1: Grammarly.com (Premium)
This is the site where the content can be checked for two purposes. One is for checking the grammar and another is to check the plagiarism. Below are the steps you can follow to check your content on Grammarly :
- When you will go to this site it will provide you a space to enter the documents
- Now, paste the content into the box and start the test by clicking Check your text and it will go through some tests. This will take few seconds.
- After the checking process is over it will display the results on left side and sign up form on right side.
- If you wish to get a 7-day trial then fill the Sign up form and proceed (and you won’t regret investing your hard earned money in Grammarly.. ) .
#2: Plagium.com (Free & Sign up Required for Deep Search)
This is free site which checks the content and they will charge for maintenance and development if you wish.
This site provides us two search methods:
- Quick Search
- Deep Search
Quick Search is free to use whereas Deep Search needs to you sign up.
- In this you can check 25000 characters and you can choose from among three options
- The web
- Social networks (which is still in beta phase)
- It also provides some advanced options where you can increase or decrease relevancy level.
- Click on Quick Search, it will start searching and display the result.
#3: Articlechecker (Free)
Article Checker has a compare options so that you can compare a text or a document.
It uses Google and Yahoo search engines to check.
- User can select the search engine to compare and then click Compare to start
- In the result page, it shows the total number of matches found (if any).
- You can search again if you are not satisfied with the result.
- This site contains some Ads.
#4: Copyscape (Free and Premium)
- Copyscape is a free site which needs the permalink of the site to check who’s copying your content.
- It also provides you a Banner to add in order to keep the bad guys away from stealing your content!
#5: Duplichecker (Free)
- This is a great site to check who are copying your copyrighted materials.
- It shows the copied part of the text, gives the links to the sites of plagiarism and calculates the number of words and the percentage of the text copied.
- Text of up to 1500 words can be checked in a single search.
- For the first check you don’t even need a signup!
#6 Plagiarism-Checker (Free)
- It divides the text into small phrases and checks all the phrases for plagiarism.
- It gives the percentage of unique content of the text entered and provides the links to the sites where they appear.
- Powered by Google’s Search Engine, it is very useful for SEO, for students to need check for plagiarism in their research papers, for insertion of missing citations etc.
- It is 100% free and requires no sign-ups!
Last but not least, Virante duplicate content checker is also a free site which provides checking of Plagarism.
- User need to insert the permalink and hit Submit Your Domain button.
- It does not work with sub domains like abcd.blogspot.com
- Virante provide some more SEO tools too.
These are the top 7 online tools to keep yourself safe from plagiarism. If you know any other useful tool for plagiarism, please share it with us and other readers in the comment box below.
Hope you enjoyed the article. If you have any suggestions or queries, feel free to drop a comment below.